Friday, December 18, 2009

I've been tagged!


I've just been tagged in a blog game! The fantastic Jemi Fraser has snagged me, and I'm IT! This means I get to answer several interesting questions about my writing. Stuff you were all dying to know, right? So here goes!!

1)What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote would be part of the current manuscript I'm working on. As for the first thing, it was a murder mystery/romance that I never completed. Maybe someday.

2) Write poetry?
Not unless forced to.

3) Angsty poetry?
Definitely not.

4) Favorite genre of writing?
I always incorporate romance into anything I write, but steampunk is my all-time favorite. It's just far too much fun.

5) Most annoying character you've ever created?
I try to avoid annoying characters, though I definitely have dislikable ones. The most dislikable would be Victor, an English Lord who uses his influence to get his way and is anything but nice.

6) Best plot you've ever created?
The plot for Viridis has a few twists and turns that I don't think most would expect. That was a lot of fun to write.

7) Coolest plot twist you've ever created?
It might have to be sticking my poor main character with two husbands.

8) How often do you get writer's block?
Sometimes my writing will slow as I try and figure out where my story is going, but it rarely stops completely. If it does, I know I've written myself into a corner and need to back track and take the story in a different direction.

9) Write fan fiction?
I'm afraid not.

10) Do you type or write by hand?
Definitely on my laptop. I'd get nothing done if I had to write by hand. Not to mention, I move text around too much.

11) Do you save everything you write?
Since it's all on my laptop, it's easy enough to save.

12) Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
Yes, but with changes.

13) What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
I'd have to say Viridis, again. I love the characters and there's just so much happening.

14) What's everyone else's favorite story you've written?
There aren't too many people that have read my books from start to finish, though I have a few critique buddies that have gotten through most of two seperate stories. I think Viridis would probably win out. The other was a paranormal romance with a snarky main character. She was a lot of fun to write.

15) Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
I love writing romance, but under no circumstances would I write angsty teen drama. Sorry. Maybe it was those years as a seventh grade science teacher.

16) What's your favorite setting for your characters?
For me, it's more about the characters and the story. The setting could easily change and not affect the story very much.

17) How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Sanctis, the sequel to Viridis, still needs to go through final edits. In the mean time, I've started another story, unrelated to the Viridis series, but that is still at the beginning stages.

18) Have you ever won an award for your writing?
I don't really enter competitions, so I'd have to say no.

19) What are your five favorite words?
Five words? I don't know. They tend to change with my mood, but the only one that I've always loved is coagulate since I think it immediately puts a vivid visual in one's mind. Rent (as in "to tear"), maybe riot. I also love words or slang specific to a geographical area, like banjaxed, bollocks or ken.

20) What character have you created that is most like yourself?
I think all my main characters have little pieces of me in their personalities, but you'd probably have to combine all my characters into one, and then tone down or ramp up certain aspects to get a close representation.

21) Where do you get your ideas for your characters?
I have no idea. They just come to me. If I do manage to plan out a character, they usually end up being completely different to what I had envisioned once they are written. They never behave.

22) Do you ever write based on your dreams?
I don't tend to remember my dreams, though if I do, they are sometimes influenced by what I've been writing.

23) Do you favor happy endings?
Writing romance, you sort of need a happy ending, though my characters have usually gone through so much by then, the ending tends not to be anything sweeping and sappy.

24) Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Always. Dangling participles are the bain of my existence.

25) Does music help you write?
Music helps me think about the plot and the story, but I can't write with music on. On rare occasions I'll try something instrumental but it doesn't last long.

26) Quote something you've written. Whatever pops in your head.
"Is it always so... ready?"

Be sure to check out Jemi's blog since she brought us this fun game!! Now it's my turn to tag a few people!!

A must on the list is the funny yet mysterious Robert K. Lewis, the energetic and quirky Jean Oram, and the sweet and fun Don P. Be sure to check them out!!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cali,

It's fun to learn new things about my cyber friends. This game of tag is especially delightful as it centers on writing.

Congrats on the tag!

Cali MacKay said...

Thanks so much, Cat! Glad you enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

Oh this was great. I always love reading these Q&A style things. Thanks!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Love it :-)

And two husbands? I'd love to know how that works out!!

Cali MacKay said...

Sara and KL, thanks so much for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sara, I'll have to let you know how it works out once I figure it out myself. It's been... interesting.

Don said...

Thanks for letting me play, Cali! :)

Jean Oram said...

Quirky, I am! Thanks Calista. This looks like a lot of fun. I'll post my replies on my blog tomorrow.

Elana Johnson said...

I love your quote!! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Calista - that quote is awesome!!! I love your answers :) I can't wait for Virdis to be on the shelves - hopefully in the not too distant future!

Cali MacKay said...

Don, great answers on your blog!

Jean, I can't wait to see your replies. And definitely quirky! Love it!

Elana & Jemi, glad you liked the quote!! Jemi, thanks for the opportunity to play, and I'm with you-- I can't wait for Viridis to be on the shelves, too. : ) *fingers crossed*

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Oh my word...your snippet...too good...hahahaha! My imagination is going wild. Can't believe your time as a seventh grade teacher didn't make you want to write angsty teen drama! Why, you must have seriously awesome experience with the angsty teen! haha!

By the way, left a little something for you on my blog! Check it out! http://carol-in-print.blogspot.com/2009/12/have-blog-will-follow.html

Cali MacKay said...

Thanks for the honor, Carol! You're too sweet!

And, def. no angsty teen drama-- I'm still trying to recover. lol.

Glad you liked the snippet! ;)

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

You're wracking them up today Calista! You won something at my blog too xoxoxo

Cali MacKay said...

You're too sweet, Sara!!

Jean Oram said...

Merry Christmas, Calista. I hope you get a publishing contract as a post-Christmas gift.

Cali MacKay said...

Jean, you're too sweet! Thank you!! I'm hoping it's a good year for everyone, with contracts and agents, for all! : )

Happy Holidays!

Suzette Saxton said...

It's fun to get to know you and your writing better!

Cali MacKay said...

Thanks so much for stopping by Suzette!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J. Lea Lopez said...

fun stuff! jean tagged me, so i'll be doing the same later this week.

hey, look what i came across the other day. looks like steampunk is making its mark on fashion as well!

Cali MacKay said...

Can't wait to check out your answers. : )

Steampunk fashion and its influence seems to be popping up everywhere. Love it!