Monday, August 17, 2009

Putting Some Steam in Your Punk


Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but I love reading stories that have a bit of romance woven through them. Indeed, I can never resist heating things up between my characters, and there's nothing better than a steamy bit of steampunk.

In my own novel, I've freed my main character, Phoebe, from the puritanical constraints and ideologies of the time, thus allowing her to explore her sexuality. Not to say her forward thinking doesn't cause its share of problems.

Steampunk as a genre seems to lend itself not only to a romantic element, but the more erotic. And yet it seems as though there are very few full length steampunk novels that have included any romantic plot or subplot (if you know of any, please share).

With the demand for steampunk romance increasing, I can't help but be excited. So do you plan on heating things up in your own steampunk work to meet the demand? Does your writing already have romantic leanings?

I wonder if the addition of romance will be the thing that catapults steampunk into the mainstream. It certainly seems as though its time has come.

***

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just finished a steampunk romance and waiting breathlessly for my editor to like or hate it. I really look forward to your work!

I'm starting a blog for steampunk romance writers, so maybe you'll stop by when it's done? Look for my tweet!

Cali MacKay said...

That's fantastic! Let me know how it goes with your editor, and be sure to keep me updated on your blog. I'll keep an eye out for the tweet, also.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed my visit to your blog. Will pop by on a regular basis.

Anyone who has the guts to write a book whether it be submitted to an agent or not is a friend of mine.

All the very best.

Anonymous said...

The demand for steampunk romance is increasing? I've definitely not been keeping up with the trends like I thought. But then, I'm not personally a big fan of romance, so that may account for my ignorance.

I found your site while doing a search for blogs about the steampunk genre, and I am very impressed. It's been really hard to find good sources, but you seem to have a good handle on it. Despite my indifference towards romance, I've subscribed to this blog via google, and I hope you keep the good posts coming.

As a note, I'm working on a post for my blog on the steampunk genre as a whole, and that's part of the reason I got here, so feel free to check it out if it interests you.

Good luck with interesting your agent in the book.

Atsiko

Woodge said...

You've probably already read Soulless by Gail Carriger -- not the usual book that I read, but I read it and enjoyed it muchly. Another book that has some erotica and romantic sub-plotting is the two-volume The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist. I thought it was way cool.

Cali MacKay said...

Woodge, Soulless is at the top of my reading list. I had not heard of those other books by Gordon Dahlquist. Will definitely look into it! Thanks for the recommendation!